The update to macOS Ventura 13.3 is substantial, and brings many improvements and fixes, including the following listed by Apple:
- A remove background option in Freeform to automatically isolate a subject.
- Duplicate detection in Photos now includes iCloud Shared Photo Libraries.
- A new Accessibility setting to automatically dim video containing flashing light and strobe effects (referred to in private libraries as photosensitivity).
- A fix to Trackpad gestures ceasing to respond.
- A fix to VoiceOver, that could become unresponsive after using the Finder.
- Even more (21) new emoji, just what we all wanted.
Beta-testers report that this fixes the bug connecting to SMB shares with custom icons. Michael Tsai of C-Command points out that Mail plug-ins need to be updated for 13.3, as he has already with a new version of the mighty SpamSieve.
A full list of security vulnerabilities addressed is here. It includes 49 items, with four fixes to the kernel, although Apple hasn’t noted any as being exploited in the wild yet.
There are firmware updates for Apple silicon Macs, bringing iBoot to 8422.100.650, and Intel T2 models are updated to 1922.214.171.124.0 (iBridge 20.16.4252.0.0,0).
Significant version changes seen among bundled apps include:
- App Store, major build increment
- Automator, major build increment
- Books, to version 5.2
- Contacts, major build increment
- Freeform, to version 1.2
- Home, major build increment
- Keychain Access, major build increment
- Mail, major build increment
- Music, to version 1.3.4
- News, to version 8.3
- Photos, major build increment
- Preview, major build increment
- QuickTime Player, major build increment
- Safari, to version 16.4 (186126.96.36.199.22)
- Shortcuts, major build increment
- Stocks, to version 5.3
- TV, to version 1.3.4
- Weather, to version 3.3.
Significant changes in /System/Library include:
- many Automator PDF actions
- one new app, Coverage Details in CoreServices, which doesn’t appear intended to be run by the user, and may relate to AppleCare coverage
- ManagedClient, to version 15.3
- PairedDevices in CoreServices, new version
- a new app, Pro Display Calibrator, in CoreServices, for calibrating Pro displays using a measurement device in a darkened environment
- Siri, version update
- Xcode Previews, version update
- AppleAfterburner kernel extension, version update
- AppleCallbackPowerSource, a new kernel extension
- AppleEmbeddedAudio kernel extension, version update
- AppleJPEGDriver kernel extension, version update
- Apple lightweight virtualisation kernel extensions, version updates
- a new kernel extension AppleQSPIMC
- APFS is updated to version 2142.101.3
- a great many public and private frameworks are updated, including those for virtualisation.
Highlights in what is a long list of bug fixes and improvements include the new Pro Display Calibrator app, and what appear to be extensive fixes in lightweight virtualisation on Apple silicon Macs.